06 Mar Grain-Free Apple Cinnamon Bun Muffins
A happy hobby of mine has always been food and food science. While often asked to label myself: “Are you vegan, vegetarian, raw, Paleo, …?” The closest and perhaps most accurate description regarding how I eat I owe to the intelligent Michael Pollan: “Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants.”
Disclaimers aside, I’ve been having fun experimenting with “grain-free” recipes for bread and muffins recently. I came across this super easy grain-free cinnamon bun muffin recipe from Elana Amsterdam. I was also gifted with a generous bushel of pesticide-free apples (thank you, Eva and Peter). It was only logical to me to combine the two….so, here you go:
Grain-free Apple Cinnamon Bun Muffins
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon cinnamon *note I used True Ceylon cinnamon which has a milder taste*
1 tablespoon coconut oil – warmed to liquid
1 cup blanched almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil – warmed to liquid
1/4 cup raw honey
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup peeled, diced apple
(Preheat oven to 350 F degrees)
1. Combine topping ingredients and set aside
2. Blend almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
3. In separate bowl, combine oil, honey, eggs and vanilla.
4. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and combine well.
5. Fold in diced apple.
6. Spoon into 9 parchment-lined muffin cups .
7. Spoon topping onto muffins.
8. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes at 350 degrees.